Monday, July 7, 2008

Like A... Vegan?

I'm a man with a sick gambling history... the WNBA, the Scripps' National Spelling Bee, competitive video games with friends, etc... I thought I had reached the anti-pinnacle of Gambler's Anonymous.

But there I was, sitting with my family inside the Potomac Mills mega-mall food court, enjoying a SPECTACULAR plate of Teriyaki Chicken/Rice from one of the many little Asian food joints inside the mall. I turn to my brother and go on and on about how this plate of chicken may have been one of the best meals I've eaten all year. Then I said that, if this were the last time I ate chicken, it would've be worth it...

My brother turned to me and told me I couldn't even go for a month without eating meat, let alone a longer period of time. My response? None other than the classic, stupid competitive gambler inside me:

Care to make it interesting?

So here I am now, in the middle of one of the biggest bets of my life: No meat. No noodle meat broth. I'm not even able to order entrees and remove the meat. One entire year... well, now only 363 more days as I write this, until the next time I take a bite out of any once-living animal. $1600 is the cash I stand to gain, but more importantly, my ever-so-important elder-brother pride and willpower are on the line too.

My brother has already began tempting me by ordering some of the most delicious meat items he possibly can, then waving them in my face (aka karma for poking fun at my vegan-mother my entire life). He fully intends to make this next year a living hell for me. And you know what? I'd probably do the same if I was on the other side.

Will I make it? Probably not, but if I can do this, I can, literally, do nearly anything I want.

No comments: