Monday, May 4, 2009

The Greenhorns of Grappling

Are you guys enjoying the modern era of wrestling as much as I am?  The new faces we've seen in the last week have all the websites and blogs abuzzing with excitement.  It's been a while since the WWE has really pushed their ripe athletes to do significant things.  Whether it was because the company didn't feel they were quite ready yet, or because their main-eventers didn't want to step aside to share the spotlight... it doesn't matter anymore.  What DOES matter is that we're getting fresh talent interacting with some of our old favorites, and many people including myself have our happy tissues ready to go.  

Whoops... 

Was that too much information?  Probably.  But I truly have no other way to describe just how giddy I've become to my readers.  I hope I didn't lose one of you three by grossing you out like that. Anyhow, below are #'s 10-6 of my top ten list of blue-chippers whose potential (I hate that "P" word by the way) the WWE hasn't yet tapped. The top five of this list will be published in the coming days...


#10: Evan Bourne

bournessp

This kid has talent, but there is little else behind that. He lacks charisma and his character is very vanilla,  but you can't deny that the little guy has a jaw-dropping set of moves.  Bourne is the definition of in-ring entertainment, and even though he can't cut a promo to save his life, his high-flying antics deserve a push - even if it is just on ECW. 

Some say he's the next Rey Mysterio.  I, however, liken him to a mix of Mysterio and a young Jeff Hardy - he clearly has the ability to give us many "HOLY SHIT" moments in the coming years, but he's very Shelton Benjamin-esque on the mic.  With time and opportunity that will likely change though.


#9: Kofi Kingston

Kofi Kingston already has a few notches on his belt: the Intercontinental and Tag-Team Championships.  The thing is, Kingston hasn't had much of a chance, if any, to show us what he's made of promo-wise.  Yes, he's had the occasional backstage interview, but all we got from those is that Kingston is a happy-go-lucky kind of guy... that about sums it up.  He certainly has a plethora of moves to wow crowds, but will the WWE give him the opportunity to develop his character?

#8: The Miz

miz

The Miz can be hit-or-miss at times.  Back when he was paired up with John Morrison he could induce heat from the crowd in an instant.  But like I said, that was back when he was Morrison's tag-team partner.  

By himself, I can easily see The Miz either flourish or fail. We've seen some glimpses of success with him, but if you watched RAW like I did last week when he went on a John Cena-bashing tirade, the crowd didn't give a damn. I can't figure out if it was because The Miz was so bland or the crowd hated Cena, but I was shocked to say the least.  Being on the mic is actually Miz's strength, whereas I thought it was his in-ring work that needed some help. I'm hoping that a few weeks from now we can all look back on that promo and chalk it up to an off night.  One thing is for sure though - The Miz will certainly get more chances to bounce back... I mean he's a chick-magnet after all, right?

#7: Matt Hardy

As I've said in a column before, Matt Hardy's heel turn has been like wine for me: over time it's gotten better and better.  His promos have been very impressive and his character has come along well.  

But surprisingly I've found myself bored to death at times during his latest matches - something you don't usually expect from a Hardy brother. And with the reviews I read of Backlash that said his match with Jeff Hardy was also utterly disappointing,  I'm not sure what to think of him now.  He's very entertaining on the mic, but whatever is causing Hardy to stink up matches needs to go.  

THE Brian Kendrick

#6: THE Brian Kendrick

This guy has it all.  He's great on the mic...  as a matter of fact he's one of the best in the business (feel free to bash me on that one... that doesn't change the fact that it's true!).  In the ring he's a more vicious version of a mix between Spike Dudley and Crash Holly - but more entertaining than that sounds.

Unfortunately he hasn't yet gotten the push he deserves.  Whispers from behind the curtain suggest that his attitude has held him down from becoming a big-timer.  Despite that though he's already been in a heavyweight title match, and if his attitude is the only thing holding him down I suspect he'll learn the ropes of the business soon enough and get himself in the good graces of team creative.

No comments: